Don't give your dog Easter Chocolate!
Most of us know that human chocolate is bad for dogs but do you know exactly why and how serious it is? As Easter approaches and chocolatey treats are in abundance, we decided to take this question straight to an expert.
Doranne Ashley B.V.M.S M.R.C.V.S, a veterinary surgeon and owner of the Ashley Veterinary Centre in Glasgow, explained:
“Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs. It can affect the heart or the nervous system which is why it is so important.
The amounts of theobromine in the chocolate depends on the type and the amount eaten - dark chocolate has more than milk. Also the effects depend on the size of dog eating it so a large dog will be less affected by eating one square of dairy milk than a small dog."
WHAT COULD HAPPEN TO MY DOG IF THEY ACCIDENTALLY EAT SOME CHOCOLATE?
DA: "Symptoms you might see after a dog eats chocolate include:
- vomiting (may include blood)
- restlessness and hyperactivity
- rapid breathing
- muscle tension, uncoordination
- increased heart rate and seizures"
HOW LONG BEFORE I START SEEING SYMPTOMS?
DA: “The symptoms could start anywhere between 2 hours - 24 hours after eating the chocolate.
If your dog does eat chocolate then you should call the vet and if possible tell them the type of chocolate and how much and exactly when the dog ate it. The sooner you get to the vet the better the chances of being able to make the dog sick or wash out it’s stomach before it is all absorbed, the better chance of the dog being ok.
Chocolate poisoning really can be serious!”
TREAT YOUR DOG IN A SAFE WAY THIS EASTER
We all love to spoil our pets but it’s not worth risking their health so keep them away from the human treats and get them some doggy ones instead!
To give you a great way to treat your dog and have some Easter fun at the same time, give them proper dog treats like Alfie & Mollys Mackeral Munchies!
Here’s wishing you and your best furiend a happy and healthy Easter!